Who we are
A legacy of great work done by really good people.
75 years of successful buildings that have relied on our creativity & excellent engineering.
Since our inception in 1947, Capital has evolved from a purely mechanical engineering firm to a diverse MEP engineering firm with a broad range of expertise and innovative design capabilities.
We started as a generalist mechanical engineering firm, the first independent mechanical engineers in the Central Valley. In those early years, the valley was growing rapidly and along with it the infrastructure to address that growth. Consequently, Capital quickly developed deep portfolios in civic, healthcare, and educational projects, with clients we still do business with today. As we grew with the valley, so did our staff and client base, exposing us to new markets and opportunities beyond the region. We found that our style of doing business, combined with the high quality work and diversity of our expertise, was sought by many firms, enabling us to do high profile projects throughout California, Nevada and in some cases other states and countries.
1 9 4 7 – 2 0 2 2
We genuinely strive to be the “Firm of Choice” for our clients by being a constant valuable resource and trusted advisor.
We have developed many strategic and collegial relationships with design professionals, contractors, construction and program managers and other industry specialists to support our clients in ways that benefit them the most. Such support may include offering mechanical/electrical combined services, full fire sprinkler designs, computational fluid dynamics, or pulling together a full, multi-disciplinary team for their project.
Active memberships in professional groups, community service organizations, public policy boards, commissions and code bodies are an important part of maintaining our ability to be that trusted resource for our clients.
Not only are we always on top of the latest in technological advances in our industry many of our experienced staff are also active in the technical development of our craft and are sought-after presenters for conferences and association meetings.
A building without plumbing, electricity, ventilation, heating and air conditioning is just brick and mortar. We make them more than that— we make them functional and safe. We bring life to buildings.
On their surface, buildings are all about beauty but as you scratch the surface you find technical creativity. We are in the guts of the building and we are responsible for making it work. We choose our projects like we choose our people—the ones that want to create an environment of collaboration and success for a positive impact on communities.
“We love engineering and give up a lot of our lives to make sure it’s done right.”
Be Capital, Be Excellent.
Have a code nerd on every project.
Navigating the intricacies and nuances of building codes is a daily occurrence at Capital. In fact, we have been instrumental in developing and authoring many of the codes in California. We have a thorough understanding of DSA requirements and approval processes and we ensure our projects meet every criterion to pass approvals smoothly without delay.
At the forefront of promising industry trends in project delivery.
Capital is quick to embrace new delivery methods such as design-assist, lease-leaseback, various forms of design-build, as well as public-private partnerships, lean and IPD.
At Capital, we take our core values very seriously. They are the constitution for our company, and the principles that guide every decision we make.
Excellence is our way of life.
We are experts in our field with a legacy of excellence to uphold. We are an incubator for the entrepreneurial spirit that lives in every member of the Capital team. Because we are trusted for our expertise, we consider excellence as a way of life!
Problems arise to be solved. Challenge accepted!
At the end of the day, we are problem solvers. We own what we say and do—it’s all about integrity. We hold ourselves accountable and take responsibility for our designs. It is our recipe for success.
We are a great place for meaningful work.
We are good samaritans who seek meaningful projects for clients that care about the community and the environment. Our love for engineering and helping people empowers us with a desire to create healthy spaces. Our work breathes life into buildings.
Learn. Innovate. Teach.
We are driven to do better, to dive into our creative reservoir and innovate. We are always learning, improving and adapting. We have a hunger for solving complex problems and an insatiable curiosity for finding a better way. Our ingenuity shows up in our projects, relationships and even during our annual Christmas ornament building contest.
Show that you care.
We uphold the highest ethical standards in our work and relationships and it shows. We are loyal to our clients and committed to the growth of our people, constantly nurturing important relationships. We give our clients a reason to be their firm of choice and our people a reason to build their careers at Capital.
Affiliations & Memberships
- AABC Commissioning Group
- ACE Mentor Program
- American Consulting Engineers Council
- American Institute of Architects
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- American Society of Plumbing Engineers
- American Society of Sanitary Engineers
- Architecture 2030: The 2030 Challenge
- California Building Standards Commission’s Code Advisory Committee
- California Contractors’ Association
- California Essential Services Buildings Advisory Board
- California Seismic Safety Commission
- California Society for Healthcare Engineering, Inc.
- Construction Industry Education Foundation
- Construction Specifications Institute
- Consulting Engineers and Land Surveyors of California
- Consulting Engineers Association of California
- Design Build Institute of America
- Division of the State Architect Advisory Board
- FEMA 273 Building Seismic Safety Council Project Committee
- FEMA/USC Hospital Seismic Project Advisory Board
- Foodservice Consultants Society International
- International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories
- National Institute of Building Sciences
- Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
- OSHPD Hospital Building Safety Board
- Sacramento Regional Builders Exchange
- Society for Marketing Professional Services
- State Fire Marshal High-Rise Task Force Advisory Board
- The Collaborative for High Performance Schools
- U.S. Green Building Council